Your Edible Yard
Landscaping with Fruits and Vegetables
- Author is the co-founder of Flourish eARTh Farm, author, art teacher, master gardener and certified herbalist
- She has 13 years farming and gardening experience
- She is a well-known speaker and presents at conferences across the US
- Author of two previous books which have sold 2500
- Covers practical methods of edible landscaping, foodscaping, container gardening, and gardening for beginning homesteaders
- Teaches readers to create beautiful, eye-catching landscapes full of fruits, vegetables, herbs and flowers
- Covers the basics of edible landscaping including simple ways of integrating edible plants into existing gardens
- Includes information on how to control weeds, build healthy soil, ensure a continuous harvest
- Illustrated with color photographs and water colour paintings
- Showcases over 24 beautiful edible yards in full-color photos
- Discusses laws preventing edible front yards and ways to work within those laws including integrating pollinator or monarch habitats, forming gardening alliances with neighbors, getting petitions signed, and joining neighborhood beautification organizations
- Covers the effects of chemical pesticides including the warnings on the labels as well as dangerous side effects and environmental effects
- Provides natural alternatives to chemical pesticides including several recipes for DIY natural and non-toxic pesticides
- Includes the basics of permaculture and the importance of using permaculture principles to design edible landscapes
- Discusses garden preparation, building raised beds and hardscapes, as well as natural ways to kill weeds
- Planting charts for fruits, veggies, flowers, and herbs.
- Each plant listed will also have a sidebar of when to plant, days to maturity, how to harvest, when to harvest, how to save seed and a recipe
- Covers culinary herbs, medicinal herbs, edible flowers, mushroom inoculation, fruits, vegetables, and wild edibles integrated into the landscape.
- Also discusses routine garden maintenance such as weeding, watering, pruning, thinning, deadheading, cutting plants back and overwintering your garden.
- The final section will provide full-color photos with simple instructions on methods of preserving the harvest
- 15-20 recipes on fermentation, freezing, drying, and making simple medicines such as tinctures, teas, and salves.
- Focus is for growing zones 5-8
Beginning gardeners, urban gardeners, garden clubs, young families, health living advocates, students
Growing zones 5-8 means everything along the border plus along the oceans on each side and quite a bit of BC!